If we would need to sum up the main reasons why Black Carbon needs to be measured, these would be 5 most important ones.
- Black Carbon is a primary aerosol component of Diesel Particulate Matter, a known toxin and regulated pollutant by several regulatory agencies, including the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
- Diesel Particulate Matter is known to cause adverse health effects in people who are exposed, including premature hospitalization, asthma attacks, bronchitis, other respiratory and cardiovascular symptoms, and premature death.
- Black Carbon is the second leading cause of Global Warming.
- Black Carbon is emitted as a primary pollutant to the atmosphere through a variety of incomplete combustion of sources and fuels; BC concentration cannot be modeled or predicted, it must be measured.
- Black Carbon is NOT adequately characterized through PM-2.5 mass only measurements, chemical speciation is necessary.
Magee Scientific is the originator of the Aethalometer®, the most-widely-used instrument for the real-time measurement of Black Carbon aerosol particles in the atmosphere. We measure it, so you can take action. More about Aethalometer®